The festive season is often a time of indulgence and decadence. With lots of rich food, sweet treats, overflowing beverages and lazing around by the pool, many of us emerge from the Summer months feeling far from our best. Come the end of Summer, our bodies and our minds are craving a proven way to recover, rejuvenate and detox from the high-sugar, high-fat overindulgences of the ‘silly’ season. So why not start now and build a surefire habit to get you on track and feeling your best for the year ahead?
Infrared saunas are one of the best kept secrets
We want to let you in on a little Sunlighten secret: your health and wellbeing depends on the small ‘lifestyle’ choices you make that add up and compound over time. While the term ‘lifestyle’ can be a loaded one, we simply mean a way of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group ranging from healthy and helpful to unhealthy and unhelpful.
Our lifestyle affects what we choose to wear, what we own or buy, what we spend our time doing, and how we prioritise our lives - and those things in turn affect our lifestyle. It’s an endless feedback loop.
While these choices are not made in a vacuum, and there are external factors to consider, largely our lives are made up of choices that are within our control. And one thing that we hear regularly from our loyal Sunlighten enthusiasts is that: incorporating regular infrared sauna use into their wellness rhythm is the silver bullet to a better life. So, what does it take to create a ‘sauna habit’ this Summer?
Building healthy habits
To be successful in developing healthy habits lies in finding activities and practices that are doable, enjoyable and accessible - and doing them often. By now, we know that nutrition is imperative to fuel our bodies properly. We know hydration is critical for optimal functioning. We know regular exercise is important to keep our bodies operating well physically. We know meditation is part of maintaining a healthy and clear mind. We know sleep is a must to ensure our body’s systems function. But what most people don’t know is the many benefits of infrared light therapy as part of your wellness routine.
“My sauna practice is just as much for mental and emotional wellbeing as it is for performing as an athlete. I sauna every single night and I preach that saunaing is one of the most important things you can do - right up there with exercise, eating healthy, and getting deep sleep.” - Eric Hinman, endurance athlete.
Infrared sauna therapy helps the body detoxify and increases circulation with such positive effects that cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn says it would be a “multibillion-dollar drug if it were a pill”
“The ability to heal endothelium and improve symptoms and prognosis for congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease is remarkable. Sunlighten saunas are the only infrared saunas clinically shown to temporarily lower blood pressure and reduce belly fat, both contributing factors to a healthy heart.”
Eight ways to make ‘saunaing’ a habit this Summer
- Believe. The health benefits of saunaing are an essential part of a wellness lifestyle, along with a good night’s rest, a healthy diet and exercise. When you believe in its benefits, you’ll want to do it, because we all want to make the best choices we can. Learn the science behind what makes infrared so powerful at boosting immunity, renewing our cells and reducing pain and you won’t be able to jump in there quick enough.
- Enjoy. Give yourself the gift of guilt-free self-care time. Infrared saunas provide scientifically backed holistic health benefits, so the feeling of rejuvenation reflects a genuine physiological shift each time you have an infrared sauna. The time you spend in a sauna is time well spent for your mind, body and spirit. Everyone from Pia Loyola to Molly Sims is enjoying time in their sauna to decompress from the stresses of modern life.
- Schedule it. Putting time to sauna in your calendar makes your intention clear, ensures you have the space in your schedule and will help you keep your commitment to yourself. It’s a little step that goes a long way. Set a reminder on your phone. Or, if you have a Sunlighten mPulse sauna, you can schedule your sessions in advance, including preheating, so it’s just the right temperature when you are ready.
- Be consistent. Consistency is key. A rhythm of regular sauna sessions (from 2-3 days a week minimum to a daily routine) is helpful in cementing your new habit. Make it a non-negotiable and figure out the best time for you to sauna so you can prioritise your ‘30-minute gift to yourself.’ There’s no ‘wrong’ or bad time to sauna – the only 'bad’ time is never!
- Sweat stack. Add an infrared sauna session to your fitness regime or cardio workout to maximise the benefits and enable you to recover faster so you can get back to training sooner. Following a sweaty workout with a sauna session will avoid DOMS, aide in muscle recovery and increase the release of heavy metals and hormone disrupting chemicals. It’s the perfect post-workout routine.
- Habit stack. One good habit leads to another! Add a series of good habits that fuel your desire to follow your wellness practices. For example, saunaing makes you want to drink more water, it makes you want to stretch and to take time out for yourself. It can be a positive start to your day or end of day re-set, a pre-workout stretch or post-workout recovery. Stacking good habits leads to more good habits.
- Include others. Sauna time can be a great opportunity to catch up with your friends, family or kids. Make sure to follow protocol for children – generally a minute and a half per year of age is a good rule to follow.
- Meditate. Another good habit to stack, meditation helps your body and mind integrate the benefits of the infrared sauna. You often can’t control your situation, and you can’t necessarily control your body’s response to the situation – but you can control your mind. And oftentimes when you quiet your mind, your body will follow suit. A regular sauna helps keep you calm so you can carry on with your life.
Why now is the perfect time to make saunaing a habit
Luxuries are things we want but don’t necessarily ‘need’. But we think it’s about time that Australians realise: saunaing is not a luxury, it’s a lifestyle; a wonderfully enjoyable habit that has a multitude of health benefits and has the potential to get us living our best lives.
Once you realise the incredible benefits of using a Sunlighten infrared sauna regularly, you’ll see that it is just as important to your wellbeing as eating healthy, sleeping well and exercising regularly. A regular sauna will soon feel not like a luxury, but like something you cannot live without for a moment longer.